| Season 4, episode # 6|
|"All in the Family" episode|
|Series:||All in the Family|
|Air date||October 20, 1973|
|Production code||402 (4x06)|
|Written by:|| Developed by: Norman Lear |
Written by: Don Nicholl
|Directed by:||John Rich and Bob LaHendro|
|Guest starring:|| Mike Evans|
|« Previous||Next »|
|"Archie the Gambler"||"Archie and the Computer"|
|Full Credits||Transcripts||More Images|
Edith plans a farewell reception for Henry Jefferson, who is moving away to start his own dry-cleaning business in Dutchess County, New York. Archie tries to be nice and bury the hatchet with his adversary, but is his usual self! But, just when Archie think's he's finally getting rid of a black man who is just as strong-headed about disparaging the other's race as he is, in walks George Jefferson, (at the emphatic prodding of long-suffering Louise, who had to drag him over to the Bunker home; she also didn't want a no-show by him to offend Edith and the Stivics!) the man who had long refused to set foot in Archie's house ... and hates whites even more.
Archie is delighted to learn that one of his black neighbors, Henry Jefferson, is planning to move. During a farewell party at the Bunker household, Archie finds himself deep in conversation with Henry's contentious brother George Jefferson (Sherman Hemsley). Amazingly, the two men find they have a lot in common -- especially their mutual disdain for those outside their respective races. This episode came about due to Mel Stewart's departure from AITF to star in another CBS sitcom, Roll Out; it as well as the availablity of Broadway stage actor Sherman Hemsley, fresh off of the completion of the long run of the Tony Award winning play Purlie!, as George Jefferson (series creator Norman Lear had pegged him for the role in 1971, when AITF began, but he was contractually committed to his role in the play), who would likewise eventually headline a sitcom of his own (bet you can't guess the title...).
- The episode marks the first appearance of Sherman Hemsley as George Jefferson. *This is the only episode in which George and Henry Jefferson appear together.
- It also marks Sherman Hemsley's first appearance with future co-stars on the AITF spinoff The Jeffersons, Isabel Sanford (as Louise Jefferson) and Mike Evans (as Lionel).
- Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker
- Jean Stapleton as Edith Bunker
- Rob Reiner as Michael Stivic
- Sally Struthers as Gloria Bunker Stivic
- Vincent Gardenia as Frank Lorenzo
- Betty Garrett as Irene Lorenzo
- Mike Evans as Lionel Jefferson
- Isabel Sanford as Louise Jefferson
- Mel Stewart as Henry Jefferson (as Melvin Stewart)
- Sherman Hemsley as George Jefferson
No special guest stars in this episode.