| Season 5, episode # 17|
|"All in the Family" episode|
|Series:||All in the Family|
|Air date||January 11, 1975|
|Production code||512 (5x18)|
|Written by:||Don Nicholl, Michael Ross and Bernie West|
|Directed by:||H. Wesley Kenney|
|Guest starring:|| Mike Evans|
|IMDb:||The Jeffersons Move Up|
|« Previous||Next »|
|"Prisoner in the House"||"All's Fair"|
|"The Jeffersons Move Up"|
|Full Credits||Transcripts||More Images|
This episode was also the pilot episode for "The Jeffersons," where George and Louise move to "a deluxe apartment in the sky."
Four years after moving on Hauser Street and tolerating Archie's racial barbs, George and Louise decide to move to finally move on up to the east side of Manhattan into a luxurious apartment to be closer to his new dry cleaning store located in the same building. George is shocked to find out that among his new neighbors is a dashing, eccentric English United Nations interpreter named Harry Bentley. However, George really becomes furious when he finds out that also living in their building are Tom and Helen Willis; the interracial parents of Lionel's fiancée Jenny. Soon George is ready to move out of the apartment and back to Queens.
- Harry Bentley: Well, jambo.
- George Jefferson: Did you say Sambo!?
- Harry Bentley: Jambo. It's Swahili. Actually it means "hello".
- Louise Jefferson: [as soon as Bentley leaves] George, I believe you were right about this place after all. Imagine, an English neighbor.
- Harry Bentley: (Immediately popping back in) Good God, you're Black!
- The plot is also the pilot for the television series The Jeffersons, which was the last of the Norman Lear spin-offs to leave the airways.
- The title is a line from the opening theme song of The Jeffersons.
- Edith appears in the first five minutes in order to say so long Louise.
- This marks the first appearances for the characters Harry Bentley and Ralph the Doorman.
- This was Franklin Cover's and Roxie Roker's first appearance as Tom and Helen Willis. The couple was originally portrayed by Charles Aidman (when the character was named "Louis" instead of "Tom", and Kim Hamilton.
- George and Louise move from their house in Queens to a luxury high-rise in Manhattan.
- Jean Stapleton is the only AITF cast member to appear in this episode. First episode in which neither Rob Reiner nor Sally Struthers appears.
- Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker (credited only)
- Jean Stapleton as Edith Bunker
- Rob Reiner as Michael "Meathead" Stivic
- Sally Struthers as Gloria Bunker-Stivic
- Mike Evans as Lionel Jefferson
- Sherman Hemsley as George Jefferson
- Isabel Sanford as Louise Jefferson